Thursday, May 15, 2008

Surprise Reactions.

Hannah and I went on a long road trip this weekend. Here is a summary:

On Friday morning, we went to a really nice MOPS tea. All the moms made such yummy treats to eat! And even though I was reluctant to drink tea (I just don't like hot flavored water, sorry!), it wasn't too bad with lots of sugar in it.
After I read my speech, I don't think there was a dry eye in the entire room. It was am amazing experience. Then my friend JoAnna summed up the entire year beautifully, with her message about the fruits of the spirit, and being content with whatever God gives you.

We stayed overnight in Maryland. I announced my pregnancy by telling my mother "Oh by the way, we won't be able to visit for Christmas this year, because.... I'm due to have a baby on Christmas Eve!"
And do you know what her reaction was?
"OH NO, I hope you dont have another KYLA!!!"
(Kyla is my crazy/sweet/oddball sister; she was born on Christmas Eve in 1985.)

Saturday, we drove to PA. Had dinner with the in-laws. Hannah bonded with her great grandpap and uncles, while I introducted my MIL to the world of scrapbooking. She is now addicted!

Sunday was Mother's Day. After church, my FIL took us out for brunch. It was so yummy! I ate everything on my plate, and half of Hannah's blueberry pancakes! Then we visited some friends, took a nap in the afternoon, and let Hannah play in the hot tub before dinner.

I got to tell Mike's parents about my pregnancy too. My MIL was so overjoyed that she was practically weeping. She said "I've been hoping you would tell me that for months; I'm so happy for you!"

The only really bad part of our trip happened on Sunday night, when I smashed my finger in the door. It hurt SO MUCH, and I felt really embarrassed that I'd hurt myself like that in front of Hannah and all of Mike's family. My finger is very bruised and purple and sore, but thankfully not broken.

We spent Monday and Tuesday with our friends in Pittsburgh! We got to meet Ally's new baby boy, play with Aaron, one of Hannah's best friends, and just hang out and relax. On Tuesday afternoon we met up with some more college friends and their babies. The kids had so much fun together! I wish we could see them more often.

Wednesday, we left for home at 9:45am, and got to Durham exactly nine hours later. Not bad, especially since we took more than several potty breaks, and spent 30 mins at a West Virginia state park, to get some exercise.
If gas prices weren't so high, I'd love to do it all over again next month.

Mike really outdid himself while we were gone. He acted like he was just so tired and busy from work that he couldn't possibly bring himself to do anything around the house. But he fooled us!

The first thing that we saw when we parked our car in the driveway, was a brand-new swingset in the backyard! SURPRISE! Hannah was so thrilled that it took me an hour just to get her inside! And waiting in her room was her brand new big girl bed, complete with the sprakly purple butterfly bedding that has been hiding in her closet for over a month! No more baby crib for this girl!

For me, he cleaned the kitchen, scrubbed the floors, vaccumed the whole house, washed all our sheets and towels and dirt dishes... He also got me fiften roses! One dozen, plus three more for each year that I've been a mother. So sweet.

Hope you had a Happy Mother's Day!

And again, thank you all so much for your prayers!
They really mean a lot to me.

2 comments:

Mama Bunny said...

So I have a question...what does MOPS stand for? I did a google search, but didn't really get anywhere.

Glad to hear your trip went well! I used to love taking long road trips but between (a) working for an airline now and (b) gas prices, the farthest I've gone in the past couple years is just a few hundred miles away in Texas.

Anonymous said...

Wow it sounds like you had a great weekend, I wish I knew you were in town when you called, it was a busy weekend for me too with Chuck's graduation. Anyways. I'm so glad things are going well for you :0)