Friday, July 25, 2008

ULTRASOUND RESULTS!

Im 18 weeks pregnant now - can you believe it?

Last night/this morning, I was nervous and kind of scared about what we might find during the detailed ultrasound today. I tried not to let it get to me, but I had a hard time sleeping last night.

Even though I was the second scheduled u/s of the day, there were some "emergencies" that came ahead of me, so we had to wait a loooong time. Hannah was really good in the waiting room, but once they started the exam, she was ansty, and couldnt sit still. Im glad my sis was around to entertain her. Hannah wasn't as interested in the whole ultrasound process as I thought she would be - then again, all she saw was a bunnh of fuzzy, black and white images, so it probably didnt make very much sense to her.

They spent a good amount of time, probably 20 mins, examining the heart. They had this program where they could track each artery and color-code it with red and blue, depending on the bloodflow. That was really neat. I'd never seen a heart up-close like that before. They spent so much time on it, I was beginning to think that there might be something wrong. But the tech and the ob doctor said that Baby's positioning was perfect, and it's rare to get such good, clear pictures of a healthy heart. They just wanted to play around with the machine, and get some nice pictures to show their colleagues!

They spent almost an hour looking at everything. It was really neat, and very much a relief, to see a healthy little baby. We got sooo many u/s pictures! :)

According to measurements, New Baby weighs about 8 ounces. Im 18 weeks along, and the average measurements were 18.5 weeks. Because s/he was measuring slightly ahead, they adjusted the due date to December 20th. Doesn't make a difference to me. I'll still keep telling everyone that the baby is due at Christmastime, and s/he will come out whenever they want to.

THANK YOU GOD for a healthy little baby!!!

The only problem they found was a small brain cyst. It doesn't affect thinking or brain development, and the cyst usually disappears in the third trimester. So hopefully it won't be a problem. But it does indicate an increased risk for Trisomy 18 - though our Baby doesn't have any other markers for it. Just something to watch for and pray about, I guess.

Overall, I'm very happy about this ultrasound experience. They spent an hour going over every single part of the body (except the sex organs, as we requested!), anbd explained everything to us in great detail. I feel very relieved, and very well informed. I have another check-up with my midwife on Monday, to go over the u/s results and recent blood tests, and see how much weight we've gained since March.

Hope you have a good weekend....

Nicole

3 comments:

Krissy said...

What wonderful news! So glad to hear that the baby is doing so well! Hard to believe they can see all that on an 8 oz baby! Amazing!

Praise God!

Kendra said...

Congratulations on such a great ultrasound!! I am so glad to hear the new babe is so nice and healthy!

Don't worry about the cyst. I was told when I was pregnant with Colin that he had the same thing and it scared me to death.. but as you can tell he is absolutely healthy in every-way! I will keep it in my prayers for sure but u don't need to worry about it.

Lacie said...

hey...December 20 is my birthday - please come that day New Baby!

So glad everything is going well!

for our next baby, I don't think we are going to find out if it is a girl or boy, but I am worried that we willl accidentally see something - do you think that it's possible to accidentally see>>