Sunday, March 9, 2008

A Funny Thing Happened Yesterday....

I have had exactly twenty-four hours by myself, all alone, in this house.
I thought I would be really sad and lonely, but Im not.
I have moments when I still look around and think "Where is Hannah? Shouldn't she be hanging onto my leg right about now, or sitting on my lap, reading a book? Don't I need to make her dinner now?"

No, not today.

You see, yesterday, while Hannah & I were at a scrapbooking party, Mike called. He has this week off from work, and he was getting cabin fever already. He said "I want to go to Pittsburgh. With Hannah." I was so surprised! I replied "Ok, if that's what you want to do." So we came home, I packed Hannah's shoes and toys and clothes in a small suitcase, and around 6pm, they started driving north. They stayed at my parent's house last night.

I couldn't go, I have other responsibilities here. Like church and babysitting and work and meetings. I had no idea that Mike was going to drop everything and take off on a road trip! But I guess this is payback for all the times I've taken Hannah travelling to visit people without him.

This is definitely a big deal, because Hannah and I have never been away from each other for more than a few hours. Maybe eight hours, max.
I wondered if she would be sad that I wasn't coming, too. Usually it's her daddy who has to stay behind. But no, that girl got into the car, buckled herself into the carseat, hugged me, and waved "Bye Mommy!" until I couldn't see them anymore. No tears, she was perfectly content riding in the car with Daddy. That's good though, it means she feels happy and safe with him. Right?

The best part is that now Daddy gets to work on potty-training Hannah, not me! I head that she did not have any accidents in the car last night or today. Mike didn't tell any of his family or friends that he was coming - he literally just showed up at his parents' front door this afternoon. "SURPRISE!"

What a surprise!

Please pray that they stay safe and healthy and happy up there, and that I don't drive myself crazy here at home alone.

Happy Sunday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

relax, take naps, and read do the thing you cant do for yourself with hanna there go out with some one from the church just you and them no kids it will be nice.

Mommy Boots (formerly KarmaPearl) said...

It sounds like you had a nice mini vacation yourself. I'm sure it was hard missing Hannah, but at the same time it had to be at least a *little* relaxing. I'm sure they're back home safely by now!